Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Functional programming in C#

I got an interview question from my colleague on day about how to convert a 1D array to 2D array. It is simple, but I want to make the implementation more functional. I do not know why, but just does not like For loop since I started to use F#.


var arr = new int[] { 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 };
var result1 = new int[3, 3];
var list = arr.Select< int, Action< int[,] > >((number, index) => (arr0) => arr0[index % 3, (int)(index / 3)] = number);
 foreach (var item in list)
          item.Invoke(result1);

From the LINQ select, I got a list of operation (or lambda) to each element in the array. I find this way is more interesting if we have multi-core system. I build up the function once and each time the operation can be parallel as well.

No comments: